Discussion Forums  >  Images, Documents, File Locations

Replies: 5    Views: 176

Natasha
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 02, 2013
Melbourne
05/28/13 05:30 AM (11 years ago)

How to make ipad landscape images display properly

Hello, I've just finished building one of my first apps for iphone and ipad. The iphone one is portrait-only, but the ipad allows for rotation. I've used plugins such as Splash and BTA Design Menu. Both of these only have one box for uploading images for each device. For the iPhone, this is fine because I only need the one image. I upload the portrait image and it works perfectly. However, I have created both portrait and landscape images for the ipad device, yet can only insert one in the Splash and BTA Design Menu plugins. At this stage, I have inserted the portrait image. However, when I rotate the device to landscape during testing, it does not fit nicely on the landscape page. Can someone please tell me how to fix this problem and add the landscape image to my app so it displays properly. I can't seem to find the answers anywhere. Thank you Natasha. :)

Absentia
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Oct 20, 2011
Alaska
05/28/13 11:53 AM (11 years ago)
Normally, I make my iPad backgrounds 1024x1024 (2048x2048 for retina). That way one image works in both orientations. Of course in that case, the entire image won't be visible in either orientation, but it will at least fit the screen. Are you looking for an alternative solution?

Natasha
Aspiring developer
Melbourne
05/28/13 04:34 PM (11 years ago)
Hi, yes I did try doing the backgrounds that way. The image fit well on the portrait screen but is chopped off at the top on the landscape screen due to the menu tabs. So I was at a loose end again as to what to do. Also, the same thing happens for the header image on BTA Design Menu. I've made it 768x50, which is fine for portrait but too short on both ends for landscape. Do you know how to get around this issue? Thank you.

Absentia
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Oct 20, 2011
Alaska
05/29/13 06:30 PM (11 years ago)
Sorry, I don't...getting specific images to show in landscape and portrait is probably a lot harder than it sounds. I'm assuming you've tried messing around with the sizing options? (full screen, full screen preserve ratio, etc.) sorry I couldn't be more help

Natasha
Aspiring developer
Melbourne
05/29/13 11:47 PM (11 years ago)
Hey that's ok. Thanks for replying again. Yes it's turned out being a total mess around with the images. I've decided to try and block ipad rotation so it is portrait-only. I did find a forum discussion that you commented on about making the ipad portrait-only... so I'm guessing it can be done, right? http://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=7FEB35DBB58D059354CEC04&currentPage=2 I haven't delved into the detail of it properly yet, but hopefully I'll figure it out... I've got no experience with coding yet. Also, (probably a silly question) can I submit my current buzztouch code to Apple for iphone only? Or should I wait until I've fixed the ipad rotation issue first and then submit everything together?

Natasha
Aspiring developer
Melbourne
05/30/13 12:24 AM (11 years ago)
Yay!!! I followed your instructions on the above forum link and just changed the words TRUE to FALSE, and it's worked. Thank you for that info. :) I don't have video (or anything else that needs landscape) in this app, so I'm guessing these changes should be fine and not give me any issues. Cheers.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.