Discussion Forums  >  BT.com Website, Account Questions

Replies: 7    Views: 58

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
12/01/12 10:04 PM (11 years ago)

Effective Search Terms and Practices?

Folks, I'm hoping someone can shed a little hint on the best way to use multiple words in a search query to search the forum? In advanced search, I can search "iOS" or I can search "MAP" and get hundreds of posts, most of which are irrelevant, but if I search "iOS Map", "iOS + MAP", "iOS AND MAP", "iOS, MAP", and any other combo I can think of I get no returns on my search. Not just 'these' terms, but any two or more terms on the same line. There must be a way, I just don't know what it is. I don't want to clog the forum with questions that have been asked an answered, but I can't figure out how to effectively search the forums first. I'd be most grateful if someone could shed some light on my lack of fundamental procedure. cheers! -- Smug

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
12/02/12 12:25 AM (11 years ago)
Hi @SmugWimp, The best way to search that I've found is to use the Google site specific search feature. Just head over to Google, and type in something like: site:buzztouch.com/forum how to set up eclipse You should get some decent results! Mark

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
12/02/12 07:50 AM (11 years ago)
Hey @SmugWimp, The advance search on here can be overwhelming and return a wealth of information. I usually try another keyword under the main keyword you are looking for, example...you are searching for IOS and Map, depending what exactly the problem is, I would put in API or Key, to bring results related to Maps. The search does work good, but you have to play around and get used to how it works. Also @GoNorthWest brings the best way to search, but I was just trying to help with the advanced search. I believe David @buzztouch, said in a webinar about putting google search on @buzztouch and that would be great because David can implement google search to search within @buzztouch and google. LA

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
12/03/12 12:46 PM (11 years ago)
Thanks guys. You know, I had trouble finding this post again to reply, heh. Thanks for the suggestions! Also got a message from one of the folks at MySkylla who seem to have indexed everything somehow. Go Northwest (Should I call you 'Go' or "Mr. Northwest"?) has a great idea that I've used since reading it. @LA, I'd love to use the internal forum's advanced search, but I still can't get it to hit on two or more search terms, which renders it useless to me. I'm hoping David can get around to the Google Integration sooner than later, but that's not my call... Thanks again folks! Cheers! -- Smug

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
12/03/12 01:15 PM (11 years ago)
Glad you're up and running with some good Googleness. MySkylla just uses Google search as well, in addition to some of how own generated content. I firmly believe you can find whatever you're looking for using Google! And I agree...a Google search at buzztouch would be awesome. You can call me "Mark!" Mark

LA
Aspiring developer
Jerseyville, IL
12/04/12 06:32 AM (11 years ago)
Hey @SmugWimp, Just a little hint, just in case you didn't know, in your control panel, click posts and it shows most of all your posts. You will get used to everything... LA

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
12/06/12 03:10 PM (11 years ago)
And I just found this again, inadvertently using @LA's suggestion, lol! Thanks again, folks! Cheers! -- Smug

LA
Aspiring developer
Jerseyville, IL
12/06/12 04:46 PM (11 years ago)
Kewl @SmugWimp! LA

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.