Discussion Forums  >  BT.com Website, Account Questions

Replies: 4    Views: 109

trhunter
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 14, 2012
Canton
10/04/12 11:09 AM (11 years ago)

questions about building apps for businesses

My interest is in building apps for local businesses, and I'm very limited in my knowledge of code. It would be easy to build apps with a canned program, such as appcat, but I want to have control of the code. I don't want to jeopardize my clients apps if I build apps with a canned program and the company goes out of business. I'm assuming that I would need to build code for both Android and iOS and would need to give businesses access to apps for both Apple and Android phones. (What about Blackberry?) Is there some way to build an app on one platform and make it available for another without rebuilding the whole app? An appealing feature of canned programs is that they are able to somehow take the app you build with their software and make it work on all platforms. If I self-host my apps, would I still be able to use the features of buzztouch to make changes, additions, etc. to apps already built and self-hosted? Any idea of the buzztouch costs to self-host? Thanks. Mike

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
10/04/12 11:35 AM (11 years ago)
Does your business already have a website? LA

trhunter
Aspiring developer
Canton
10/04/12 12:52 PM (11 years ago)
I have put up a site, but it's not yet in a state to advertise my business. I'm using it to hold a few files for the apps I've started to build with buzztouch for Android. Mike

Stobe
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Mar 04, 2011
Fredericksburg,...
10/04/12 12:59 PM (11 years ago)
The general idea of buzztouch is to be able to create one app and compile it for both iOS and Android. The actuality depends on the type of screens you choose to use, and how they react in both platforms. Many user here end up making two separate apps for this reason. But the good news is, the "second" app can be put together a lot quicker. As for self hosting, there are some good documents in the How-to section that explain the pros/cons. But if you're just starting out, I would suggest just using BT's control panel until you make a decision which way you need to go. Unless you plan on getting an enterprise level server, I would wager that BT's is more robust than any shared hosting plan you may find and use. My 2 cents. Hope it helps.

trhunter
Aspiring developer
Canton
10/04/12 01:17 PM (11 years ago)
I haven't read the documents about self hosting. I do need to know the pros and cons, so I'll head over to the How-to section and read them. Thanks, Stobe.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.