Discussion Forums  >  WebViews and HTML for Mobile

Replies: 4    Views: 158

Fingers Crossed
Veteran developer
Reg: Jan 16, 2012
Simcoe, ON
12/07/12 09:50 PM (11 years ago)

Apples rejection of web screens Vs a PHP BT App

Hi folks, I'm working through a design for an app, but one things bothers me which I thought I'd get your opinions on. I frequently get rejections because I link to web pages that I don't create. These rejections usually are because the sites are 'regular' web pages. Normally my solution is remove the pages. My latest app was rejected since I link to a web based store for each item. That hasn't passed again yet and I'm not about to code a store! My app is basically a bunch of databases running mySQL and will be a number of HTML screens with PHP behind it. There aren't a lot of native BT screens I can use as it's mostly form driven and list boxes based on the database. Is apple likely to reject it because it IS pretty much totally web page driven? The attached screenshot is an alpha version. It's size is correct but I haven't prettied it up much. I'd hate to spend weeks writing/designing if it won't make the cut! Screenshot: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/25547044/TDM_SS2/PHPSS.png Any thoughts, experience or suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers. Graham.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
12/07/12 11:46 PM (11 years ago)
Hi Graham, I think it's pretty hard to say. If most of what the app does can also be done through a browser, then they'll think a Web App is a better vehicle. Apple seems to place a premium on well designed interfaces, using native iOS functionality, that engage users and keep them coming back over and over. Ultimately, though, I think it largely depends on the mood of the reviewer! Mark

Fingers Crossed
Veteran developer
Reg: Jan 16, 2012
Simcoe, ON
12/08/12 06:50 AM (11 years ago)
Basically yes it can, but I can't charge them so easily for that :) The app is a bit like a note taker/expense tracker. Its supposed to allow for a quick pick up, put in the trip/purpose and save it. Navigating to web pages never feels quick :) I'm not sure how to make it not look like a web page! Thanks for your feedback.

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
12/08/12 09:56 AM (11 years ago)
I recently converted a website (textweek.com) into a mobile version and packaged it as an app. The app is nothing more than menu screens linking to mobile-friendly webpages. Apple approved it no problem.

EdReyes
Lost but trying
Reg: Oct 21, 2013
location unknow...
11/03/13 05:53 PM (10 years ago)
@chris1 curious, when you say converted the textweek.com site into a mobile version and packaged it as an app, is this like a phonegap build taking a mobile responsive site and converting it to xcode and android? is this possible with BT Control Panel and plugins? Thanks Ed

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.