Discussion Forums  >  WebViews and HTML for Mobile

Replies: 3    Views: 208

Kaybee
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Sep 22, 2012
Perth, Australi...
01/03/13 05:17 PM (11 years ago)

Getting info from website to app?

HI Guys, Not sure where to start, I am looking at pulling results from a website to my app. I want to make it part of an app that I am currently busy with, have a look at the free app: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/irontrac/id489168542?mt=8 it draws race results and timing from the site www.ironmanlive.com The user is able to enter a name into the search and the app returns the results. Just looking for the basic code, I can set up the interface screen to place the results into easy enough. Just not sure where to start... any help would be appreciated. regards

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
01/03/13 05:52 PM (11 years ago)
I guess the first thing is to find out who owns the data. If it's you, no problem. If not, you might want to ask permission from the ironmanlive.com folks, just to be on the safe side. That said, does the site have an RSS feed of the data you want to pull? If so, I'm sure a plugin is coming soon that will handle RSS. in the interim, you may need to figure out a way to convert RSS to JSON and use that to populate your app. If you have access to the Back End of the site, then you should be able to pull directly from the servers Database, typically (but not always) MySQL. I have all the data I need. I'm using my own MySQL server in conjunction with PHP to filter and return the desired data. That's how most people do it, in a general sense. Usually the PHP is setup to return the data in a JSON compliant fashion... Hope this helps! don't be shy about questions! Cheers! -- Smug

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
01/03/13 08:25 PM (11 years ago)
Does the Ironman web site have an API or do they have a query variable that can be specified on the URL to output search results in XML or JSON format? Screen scraping is not a pleasant choice, but it can be done. I went to the Ironman web site with my iPhone, the site did not serve up a mobilized view. I was thinking of getting the data via that pseudo-API.

Paul Rogers
Android Fan
Reg: May 30, 2011
UK
01/04/13 06:35 AM (11 years ago)
Not sure if this refers to the right site or not? http://triresults.wordpress.com/tag/ironman-api/ Looks like you can request a free api key, but the server's down at the moment... which isn't a good sign if you're relying on the data..

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.