Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 3    Views: 58

sarahk
Code is Art
Reg: Jul 16, 2014
Auckland
06/29/16 06:48 PM (8 years ago)

Merge fields - deviceId changes between apps

I was hoping to be able to use deviceId to be able to identify a single user using two different buzztouch apps without them having to log in to each app. However, on ios, it appears that the deviceId is different - haven't got as far as android yet. Has anyone else found this? Is this the way it's meant to be?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
06/30/16 10:10 PM (8 years ago)
Sadly, that's the way it's meant to be. http://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?fid=5FE1FB2355A48AD674A6CA3&sortColumn=FT.dateStampUTC&sortUpDown=DESC&currentPage=14&tid=CD83C837296FD611E2CE445&command=confirmDeleteThread I'm was trying to think of a 'graceful' way to identify a user, but by design that's a pretty hard thing to get down 'perfect', when working with two different apps, because they'll both generate 'unique' ids for the same person. Then I found this, which is optimistic: https://blog.onliquid.com/persistent-device-unique-identifier-ios-keychain/ Hope this helps! Cheers! -- Smug

sarahk
Code is Art
Auckland
06/30/16 10:57 PM (8 years ago)
Thanks Smug - always helpful. Ironically, I'd love a bit more info sharing, no point advertisers spending money to sell me apps I've already downloaded (and maybe even deleted) but I get the whole privacy and abuse perspective too. In my situation, the solution is relatively painless and the underlying structure allows a user to have more than one "device", I had just expected those devices to be physically distinct like a phone and a tablet.

sarahk
Code is Art
Auckland
07/01/16 03:35 PM (8 years ago)
FWIW in Android the deviceId is the same.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.