Hansen
Apple Fan
Reg: Aug 20, 2012
Clive
12/24/14 07:12 PM (9 years ago)

Emulator 'working', device fails to load

Good evening guys, If I had much hair left to pull out, I 'd be pulling it. Trying to work on this same Android app for a long time. I finally got it running on an emulator, tried to run on a real device (on which I was able to get the homepage to show about a week ago, but was missing a few plug ins, so it did not run beyond that). Now, the device just says it is loading and will sit there with the spinning icon for hours. This is a very basic app, with a few menus and mostly html pages, nothing fancy.... but nothing running yet either (runs great on Apple) I am hoping I am missing something obvious again that you who know your way around Android can recognize what is causing this? Thank you very much for your time. Merry Christmas. Clint

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
12/24/14 11:58 PM (9 years ago)
Hi Clint, When you say "the device just says it's loading" are you talking about the emulator or actual hardware? Try deleting the app from the device and reinstalling. Or, do a force quit of the app and then launch it again. You can do both from Services > Apps. Let me know if that helps! Merry Christmas! Mark

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 04, 2013
Amarillo, Texas
12/25/14 09:50 PM (9 years ago)
I know if you use the custom url screen on android it loads forever and you can just touch the screen or press the back "hardware" button and then the page will load up.havent really looked into that fix,because I hardly use it(will soon though). also if you put the "artwork" for the app in the drawables folder of your project instead of loading from urls, they show up wayyyy faster. Or are you talking about the custom html screen plugin? After adding the rest of the apps on the app, what screens work and which screens take forever? Whats the first screen you added?

Hansen
Apple Fan
Clive
12/26/14 05:52 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks Guys, Yes, this is on my device, a Samsung. I have already deleted and reinstalled many times. I window will pop up after awhile with the option to wait or force quit, I've tried both of those as well. Everything works on the emulator. I am using Custom URL and Custom HTML home page is a menu image advanced. Don't care about speed too much at this point, just trying to get it to function first. Thank you for your help.

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Amarillo, Texas
12/26/14 11:45 AM (9 years ago)
what does it say in the logcat?

Clint Hansen
Apple Fan
Reg: Apr 05, 2011
Des Moines
12/31/14 09:45 AM (9 years ago)
The app works nicely on the emulator, so assuming it was my Samsung phone with the problem, I was able to successfully publish the ap on GooglePlay. I deleted the ap from my device and redownloaded from Googleplay hoping it would make a difference, it still gets stuck loading. Could I get help from anyone who'd want to download the ap and see if it works or just gets stuck for them as well? Maybe some help as to how to resolve this? the ap can be found by typing "cyanotic" Thank you very much

Clint Hansen
Apple Fan
Reg: Apr 05, 2011
Des Moines
12/31/14 02:12 PM (9 years ago)
Sorry, just read my last request for help and my spell check, retyped the name for me. Please type in the name "Cyfanatic". Just tested on another device and have the same issue trying to load. They both get to the point where they ask to update the ap with new changes, and then it freezes in loading.

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Amarillo, Texas
12/31/14 06:20 PM (9 years ago)
ok ill check it out now

Hansen
Apple Fan
Clive
12/31/14 06:49 PM (9 years ago)
Thank you, I am stuck & I appreciate someone who knows what they are doing taking a look.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
12/31/14 06:50 PM (9 years ago)
Hi Clint, So, I installed the app on my Nexus 7, and experienced the same hang on the initial refresh like you reported. I hooked up my device to Eclipse, and am going through the LogCat info. Here are some things I've found: * Your BT_Config.txt file is in "Design" mode, which means any change you make in your control panel automatically gets sent to end users. Ideally, you want your config file to be in "Live" mode, and then when you've made changes you want your users to see, you hit the Publish button. * The cfheader.png file you have linked to DropBox is over 1MB in size, which is fairly large to download over the network. You might want to consider going to tinypng.com and trying to optimize it. * Your cr_menu_advanced screen is configured to load "headerScreenIDToLoad":"2B92D5A4717F6CB68D0E55E", but that screen doesn't exist anywhere in your config file. If you tap the image at the top, it'll say there's nothing connected to it. * The last Buzztouch entry I see in LogCat is this: 12-31 18:19:50.051: W/ActivityManager(488): Activity destroy timeout for ActivityRecord{428100e0 u0 com.cyfanatic/.Cr_menu_advanced t23 f} So, I'm not exactly sure what the issue is, but it "seems" to be related to the Cr_menu_advanced screen. I would do the three following things: 1. Change the BT_Config.txt file to Live instead of Design. And then make sure they are synced (hit the publish button, then copy the Live mode configuration to your BT_Config.txt file). 2. See if you can reduce the file size of that png. 3. Either unconfigure the Cr_menu_advanced to have something linked to the header image, or actually have something for it to link to. I can't say for certainty that these things will fix it, but it's worth a shot, and then we can go from there. If you generate a new APK with the above fixes, you can send it to me at MrkFleming at gmail dot com and I'll test it out for you. Thanks! Mark

Hansen
Apple Fan
Clive
12/31/14 06:54 PM (9 years ago)
Outstanding!! Thank you, I even understand what you are suggesting. I will be away from my computer until morning, but I can't wait to try this and it would feel so good to have it functioning. I will post back tomorrow. Happy New Year!

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
12/31/14 08:15 PM (9 years ago)
Rock on! Don't hesitate to contact me directly via email if you have any questions. Mark

Hansen
Apple Fan
Clive
01/01/15 08:36 AM (9 years ago)
Mark, THANK YOU. I made the changes as you directed & the ap fired up. What a way to start the year. Very grateful for your help. Clint

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
01/01/15 11:44 AM (9 years ago)
Awesome! My guess is that the file size of the header image was the problem. But I can't say for certain. It's always good to optimize images as much as you can. Happy New Year! Mark

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.