Johannesburg, S...
12/08/14 02:46 PM (9 years ago)

Android Studio

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
12/08/14 02:48 PM (9 years ago)
Theoretically it should. I've been playing around with it, and finally got it to load a Buzztouch project. I haven't been able to get it to compile an apk yet. They switched to Gradle, which causes some issues with Buzztouch projects, but there are workarounds. I'm in the process of trying to document it. Now that they have an RC (Release Candidate) build, maybe it's stable enough to go back to. For now, the Eclipse ADT Bundle is still the safest and easiest way to go. Mark

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
12/09/14 03:10 AM (9 years ago)
I have just installed and uninstalled Android Studio 1.0. And we thought Eclipse was hostile! Android Studio will collate all you manifest files into one manifest file, for example. What, you did not even know that there might be more than one manifest file, well, now you know... Eclipse just handles it while Studio tells you to dig into the compiled manifest manually and change whatever it is that you don't like about it. Once you install Studio, you are not done: you then have to install SDKs, and Studio will download another set of SDK files for its own use. I ended up with 6-8 gig LESS then when I started, and I hated the fact that now I had the same files in the two different places. As if Eclipse never existed, take it leave it. There is about one million apps in the Play Store now. What were they written with? Eclipse. And now Google just brushes it all aside and does not even offer an import facility from Eclipse files to Gradle files. I uninstalled it faster than I installed it. I also understand that it is the future, but for now, it is not for me.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
12/09/14 07:34 AM (9 years ago)
I'm with you, @Dusko! I think unless you are developing Android apps from scratch, then Eclipse is still the best way to go. We've all come up with a fairly painless Eclipse process that messing with Studio just doesn't make sense. At the moment, it doesn't offer anything that about 99% of Buzztouch users would need. Mark

DocMike
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 22, 2012
Yucaipa
12/11/14 08:15 PM (9 years ago)
I'm just getting started with Buzztouch, and I have noticed you are mostly using Eclipse with ADT. When I go to the Android site they now want you to use Android Studio and are making it hard to download Eclipse giving warnings like this one: "Note: If you have been using Eclipse with ADT, be aware that Android Studio is now the official IDE for Android, so you should migrate to Android Studio to receive all the latest IDE updates. For help moving projects, see Migrating to Android Studio." Is Buzztouch going to update to use Android Studio? or do we need to use the older Eclipse? Mike

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
12/12/14 09:20 AM (9 years ago)
Hi Mike, Welcome to Buzztouch! I think Eclipse ADT package is going to be usable for quite some time. Eclipse is just the IDE that is used, what's really important is the Android SDK. As long as they keep updating that, which I suspect they'll have to since Studio uses it as well, then we should be good. To be honest, unless you're actually writing code for your apps, the only thing you use Eclipse for is to compile and potentially debug your apps (which many of us here can help you with). Eventually Buzztouch will update to use Android Studio if it makes sense. But there's no timeframe for that yet. Mark

DocMike
Code is Art
Yucaipa
12/12/14 12:27 PM (9 years ago)
Do you know if there is any issue in having both Eclipse ADT and Studio on you computer?

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
12/12/14 02:32 PM (9 years ago)
If you download both of them, you will end up with TWO different versions of SDK, each of which can take up to 5 gigs, and you'd have to wait for those gigs to get downloaded, twice. I did not find an easy way to combine them, but that, of course, may be my problem only. If you have some disk space and download time to spare, you can have them both on the same computer. You can import Eclipse project into Studio, and then you are on your own. Many people are mad at Eclipse not realizing that it is Java they are battling against, not an IDE. Eclipse does a marvelous job, but you have to get used to it. Millions of people use it for Java, Ruby, PHP, C++... you name it, Eclipse can handle it.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
12/12/14 02:48 PM (9 years ago)
No issues that I'm aware of. I have both of them. You obviously wouldn't want to have the same project files loaded in both at the same time. Mark

DocMike
Code is Art
Yucaipa
12/13/14 10:55 AM (9 years ago)
Thank you guys for all your help, I'm sure I will be needing more. Mike

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.