Nicks App
Code is Art
Reg: May 21, 2014
Las Vegas
11/23/14 10:04 PM (9 years ago)

Big Huge Scare

After installing iOS 8 and a couple of bug fixes later, I needed to add some locations to my Map App's Config.txt file. After I "refreshed," MenuSimple was broken! I became crushed... until I thought to make sure the big guys' Apps worked! Sure enough, my Router needed to be rebooted! No Facebook, is a pretty good clue that Belkin needs a reboot.

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
11/24/14 09:52 AM (9 years ago)
It can't get any simpler than that! :-)

Nicks App
Code is Art
Las Vegas
11/24/14 10:20 AM (9 years ago)
I'm a Mac person, and we rarely reboot. Even 10 years ago, I was known to reboot only when moving things around, or after installing something that needed a reboot to finish installing, or be recognized. I think I checked one time, and my iMac 2006 had been running for 2-3 months! my Belkin router needs a hard "unplug" reboot every few days. Anyway, the momentary frustrating part about yesterday, was that "it" - the phone, IOS, whatever "it" is - was offline, but in carrying out the "refresh" command, "it" over-wrote something before not being able to complete the "refresh" because it was offline. Too bad "it" didn't wait to over-write something, and than a bubble should have popped up saying "it" was off-line. Instead "it" over-wrote some file, then my App had what looked like a MenuSimple, but the rows had no text. I figured it out, but I wonder if the average consumer, using my Map App on the street corner of a strange new city, would. No WiFi, no cellular data... Bottom line: there should have been a bubble saying there was no Internet connection. And no files should have been over-written.

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Cerritos
11/24/14 10:46 AM (9 years ago)
Throw out that Belkin into the e-waste heap. Buy this cheap found-the-cash-in-my-sofa-cushions Wireless Router on Amazon: TP-Link TL-WR841N Or any of its bigger siblings. Buddy says it is an amazingly awesome router. The Amazon reviews seem to agree. -- Niraj

Nicks App
Code is Art
Las Vegas
11/24/14 11:15 AM (9 years ago)
The Belkin router belongs to the cable company. It goes Friday! I am more concerned that the phone used the "refresh" command to wipe a file, config.txt?, before knowing that it couldn't download the one from my data url. And, no bubble saying "no Internet connection"? Is that something we can add to our Apps ourselves? My sense on the Android side, is that no damage is done to existing files by the "refresh" command, if there is no Internet connection.

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Cerritos
11/24/14 12:44 PM (9 years ago)
Your scenario warrants an investigation into the code. Perhaps something can be done to keep the app in a usable state. I will be painting the stucco outside for the whole week ... -- Niraj

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.