Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 11    Views: 64

KennedyE
Android Fan
Reg: Dec 07, 2013
PH, Nigeria
11/22/14 02:30 PM (9 years ago)

Smugs Message Location Not Displaying Map

Hi, I had earlier released a location finder android app using another code. Then I decided to play aroud with the BT android plugin "Smugs Message Location" lately. I noticed that the map does not display Google map at all, tried the plugin on Samsung s3 and another android device, it just refuse to work even after carefully following Smugs set up information... Why not display map in this plugin with "Google Maps Android API v2" using "Android Key" instead of the “Browser Key”? It seems to me that Google no longer support “Browser Key” in android application if I am correct. Please check and advise! Regards, Kennedy

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
11/22/14 06:19 PM (9 years ago)
Check the usual suspects. Make sure the settings in the readme file are set correctly. I just tried it in one of my projects, and the map shows up just fine. No API needed. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/115208762/sml_11_23_2014.png Perhaps you're using a Simulator? If so, then no map will show. Ever. You'll have to test on a device. Cheers! -- Smug

KennedyE
Android Fan
PH, Nigeria
11/22/14 11:58 PM (9 years ago)
It keep saying, "No GPS Signal detected, Please check your settings" even when all Location services are turned on in the devices. I am testing on a real device though.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
11/23/14 08:01 AM (9 years ago)
Make sure you have the latest version of the plugin. Take your device outside until you get a GPS Signal. Make sure you have "Start Tracking Location" set in your App Control Panel 'core' page. Cheers! -- Smug

KennedyE
Android Fan
PH, Nigeria
11/23/14 12:01 PM (9 years ago)
Hi Smug, I have sent you a mail! Thanks!

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
11/23/14 04:23 PM (9 years ago)
I got the mail. I replied: Keep trying. Cheers! -- Smug

KennedyE
Android Fan
PH, Nigeria
11/24/14 01:52 AM (9 years ago)
All the same, thanks anyway!

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
11/24/14 04:42 AM (9 years ago)
If it says "No GPS Signal detected, Please check your settings" then that means it's not getting any location information from your device. Check to make sure the device 'really is' getting a GPS Signal. Go outside, walk around for a few minutes. Try it again. And check your core properties in your BT Control Panel for the app. Those are the two big things. Otherwise, I can't say why it doesn't work. Cheers! -- Smug

KennedyE
Android Fan
PH, Nigeria
11/24/14 02:09 PM (9 years ago)
It seems the problem is from my Samsung S3, when I tried to open Google map app directly I noticed it just keep searching for GPS for ever. I checked online I see many people complain about Samsung Galaxy S3 GPS. I will try on a friend's phone soon just to be sure... something has been telling me that the problem can't be from Smug's plugin for I have known Smug to be always carefully right...

KennedyE
Android Fan
PH, Nigeria
11/25/14 02:31 AM (9 years ago)
Hi Smug, What about this message I got from Amazon with regard to this Plugin? Here is the message: "Dear Kennedy, Thank you for your recent submission of APP_TITLE (package: com.PACKAGE_NAME). It requires your immediate attention due to the following reason(s): Issue 1: "APP_TITLE" makes use of a hardware feature not found on Kindle Fire. For your app to work on Kindle Fire, it needs to be compatible with the device’s specifications. Your app must not require a gyroscope, camera, WAN module, Bluetooth, microphone, GPS, or micro-SD to function. If your app currently requires access to any of these hardware features, we recommend that you either remove the features that require these services or modify them to degrade gracefully when invoked (e.g., with an error message such as “This feature is not currently available on this device”). Please note that if your app’s core functionality requires hardware features that are unavailable on Kindle Fire, your app will not be supported. Device(s): Fire HD 8.9 WAN (2nd Gen). Fire HD 8.9 Wifi (2nd Gen). Kindle Fire HD 7 (2nd Gen). Kindle Fire (2nd Gen)."

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
11/25/14 02:58 AM (9 years ago)
The whole plugin is based on GPS. If GPS isn't available, why use the plugin at all? And if Amazon doesn't want software to require a GPS signal, then perhaps you should remove the plugin from your Amazon project. Cheers! -- Smug

KennedyE
Android Fan
PH, Nigeria
11/25/14 04:37 AM (9 years ago)
I see, yes, Amazon should have provided or support a GPS functionality in their devices, thanks!

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.