Djdios
Lost but trying
Reg: Mar 20, 2013
Valby, Denmark
11/20/14 06:33 AM (9 years ago)

App name change

Hi I have successfully created an app for iOS called Dry Needling 101. I'm now creating an android version and to differentiate between the two I called it Dry Needling 101 Android in the control panel. My question is, can I change the name of the Android to just Dry Needling 101 in the BT_config without it conflicting with the app for iOS? Kim

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
11/20/14 06:59 AM (9 years ago)
Well, keep in mind the 'config.txt' is a configuration for the app. Any change you make in the control panel, will (if in the right 'mode') be implemented in the app configuration, regardless of what the 'requesting' app platform may be. Also keep in mind that the whole system doesn't really care about the 'name', it cares about the unique GUID (in this case, appGuid). 'that' is the fingerprint of the app that makes it unique from every other app. So, it 'can' be done, but I don't think it will be the solution you're looking for. You'd be better off changing the app name before release, and keeping two separate control panels, or create one control panel, and build both platform apps using the same config.txt file. When I have Android/iOS projects I tend to use Chris1's 'Menu Image Advanced' to take advantage of his code that allows you to choose if the menu item is iOS, Android, or both. This way you can use one configuration for the entire project, regardless of iOS/Android. Cheers! -- Smug

Djdios
Lost but trying
Valby, Denmark
11/20/14 07:56 AM (9 years ago)
I don't know if I understand you correctly or vice versa. Screenshot of my panel https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2156163/Unknown-2 The first app is already published and the app below is the one I'm working on now. If I understand you correctly I can have several apps with the same name since it's the app GUID thats relevant. So I could just change the app name in the control panel to the same name without it making a conflict with the current one?

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
11/20/14 11:41 AM (9 years ago)
Hi Kim, I don't believe you can have several apps with the same name. I've accidentally tried that before, and it didn't work. Since I'm familiar with your app, I think what you're looking to change it the label that's attached to the icon when it gets installed on the device. You can change that by editing the res > values > strings.xml file. The third line of the file is : <string name="app_name">Dry Needling 101 Android</string> This string gets passed to the following area of your AndroidManifest.xml file: <application android:name="yourappnameincontrolpanel_appDelegate" android:icon="@drawable/icon" android:label="@string/app_name" android:theme="@style/hostThemeWithTitle" android:hardwareAccelerated="false"> I don't know if app_name is used anywhere else in the project..I don't think it is...but it's always worth testing. This is the only was I know to change the icon label. Mark

Djdios
Lost but trying
Valby, Denmark
11/20/14 01:27 PM (9 years ago)
Hi Mark. Just what I was looking for. Thank you so much again. Kim

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.