Discussion Forums  >  App Store Approvals, Thank You's

Replies: 12    Views: 98

Disco Troll
Lost but trying
Reg: Nov 17, 2013
Horsham
12/01/13 06:51 AM (10 years ago)

1st Android app released - Thank-you BuzzTouch Team!

What can I say - Like many I struggled with setting up Eclipse and doing my first 'hello world' app until I stumbled apon the Buzz Touch community. A couple of weeks later and my first app is finished and live on the Google play store - okay so it is super-simple and never going to set the world alight but it would never have been done without the likes of GoNorthWest, SmugGeek and the rest not only coming back with answers on the forum but being so fast and knowledgable on what I was missing or over-looking. So it's a big THANKS to these giants of the app world whose shoulders we all have the pleasure of standing on! ;-) DT

Sandeep
Android Fan
Reg: Feb 01, 2012
Miraj, India
12/01/13 09:48 AM (10 years ago)
Congrats on your first app. Kindly post the link of your app so that others might get a chance to see it.

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
12/01/13 10:12 AM (10 years ago)
Congrats Friend! LA

EdReyes
Lost but trying
Reg: Oct 21, 2013
location unknow...
12/01/13 10:37 AM (10 years ago)
Congrats

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
12/01/13 10:48 AM (10 years ago)
It's a good season after all. Congratulations! Be nice to see that Member badge under your avatar. :-)

shenry
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 10, 2012
Orange County, ...
12/01/13 02:38 PM (10 years ago)
Not bad for only discovering BT a couple weeks ago. Can't wait to see what you do next!

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
12/01/13 03:32 PM (10 years ago)
Rock and roll, Disco Troll! Got a link you can share with us so we can check it out? Mark

Disco Troll
Lost but trying
Horsham
12/02/13 02:45 PM (10 years ago)
Hi guys - Niraj - the membership badge will be an addition as I start getting into my stride for sure! I've put a link below to the app - to be honest it is basically Mark's Email Photo plug-in packaged up with a splash-screen and info page so folks can get their tea-leaves read via email(don't laugh!)... it's what I would call a 'soft launch' so I can iron out any bugs or issues as I go. Quite irritatingly I have lost the list of app ideas I wrote down about 6 minths ago and can't remember any of them (I seem to recal they were all *brilliant* ideas as well ;-) )... I'd love to try some Apple dev as well but can't afford any equipment at the moment. Thanks again, DT. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tasso1

pdog
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 20, 2013
Kelowna, BC, Ca...
12/09/13 09:36 PM (10 years ago)
Nice job, but I didn't continue with installing it due to all the permissions it was asking for. Here's what it was asking me: This app has access to these permissions: Your location precise location (GPS and network-based) approximate location (network-based) Network communication full network access view network connections view Wi-Fi connections receive data from Internet Phone calls read phone status and identity Storage modify or delete the contents of your USB storage Camera take pictures and videos Microphone record audio Your social information read your contacts modify your contacts read call log write call log Your accounts find accounts on the device read Google service configuration System tools test access to protected storage Affects battery prevent device from sleeping control vibration Really? All that is needed for a tea leaf reading app? This could be a hindrance to your installs... assuming you want downloads and actual installs? I suggest you reduce these permissions. I have no idea how though as I'm a total noob :)

Disco Troll
Lost but trying
Horsham
12/10/13 05:07 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks Pdog - I've not had these permissions come up in my testing but, as you say, it cetainly doesn't need them all - just needs the camera and that's it! I'll go and check my code right now! **UPDATE** Got my AndroidManifest.xml in a muddle and used all permissions instead of removing the ones I don't need! Tsk! Thanks again DT.

pdog
buzztouch Evangelist
Kelowna, BC, Ca...
12/10/13 11:42 AM (10 years ago)
Sweet. So where is that permissions setting btw? Is that done in the control panel or in eclipse somewhere? Cheers, pdog

Disco Troll
Lost but trying
Horsham
12/10/13 03:04 PM (10 years ago)
Hi pdog - Sorry - this global forum/time zone thing makes for some really drawn-out conversations! :-) It's in eclipse - if you open the androidmanifest.xml file the very first thing you'll see is a long list of all the permissions that are set up in there. I've literally just deleted all of the ones that aren't needed to take a photo and email it. All tests have worked fine so I'm off to load onto the Google Play site... Cheers, DT

pdog
buzztouch Evangelist
Kelowna, BC, Ca...
12/10/13 03:49 PM (10 years ago)
Yeah no worries I'm not near publishing yet anyway. But I'm right behind you :) Thanks again mate, pdog

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.