Discussion Forums  >  Images, Documents, File Locations

Replies: 5    Views: 73

AndyM
Lost but trying
Reg: Feb 18, 2013
Elberton
05/01/13 03:00 PM (11 years ago)

showing photos in Android apps

So if Android doesn't allow images to be stored in an app like IOS, what is the best practice or ways that people are creating photo galleries. Custom url- and link to a set of photos on flickr? custom url and link to a page in a wordpress site? would that be responsive enough for an phones and tablets? creating an html document using something like Hype? Others? I've used Hype to create slideshows for websites, but would have to go back and review it in more detail to be able to package the file into an app. Thanks.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
05/01/13 03:11 PM (11 years ago)
What makes you think "Android doesn't allow images to be stored in an app like IOS"? If you are linking to an html file in your app, the path can be relative, in the same folder or sub folder, to where your html file lives. Otherwise I believe putting images in res drawables for use in plugins works. Alan

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
05/01/13 03:18 PM (11 years ago)
You can add images to Android. Don't let the Apple Evangelists fool you ;) As within iOS, if you're linking an image from an HTML file, then the image will need to be relative to the HTML file. Otherwise, it should go (echoing AlanMac) in res/drawable. And if you segregate images according to resolution, then they go in the 'res/drawable-*dpi' directory 'as well'. You 'can' have all of your images online somewhere... a server, dropbox, whatever... and the response will be relative to the users network connection. Typically I add my images inside my projects; if they have to be updated, I can always put them on the net later and change the control panel data, but at least 'initially' my users have a quick response with an adequate resource. Cheers! -- Smug

AndyM
Lost but trying
Elberton
05/01/13 03:36 PM (11 years ago)
oh, I must have misunderstood something in a learning path, or a forum post, or somewhere else. . . . it might have been since there isn't a thumbnail gallery plugin available for Android. For my Apple app, I put the images into the images folder using the thumbnail gallery plugin, but for the Splash screen I used a url to load in the image. Thanks- I'll keep reading and figure it out.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
05/01/13 03:44 PM (11 years ago)
Either way...URL or internal to the app...make sure you adhere to the a_z0_9 naming convention. No spaces, special characters, dashes, or capitals. Otherwise you'll run into problems! Mark

AndyM
Lost but trying
Elberton
05/01/13 03:52 PM (11 years ago)
thanks.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.