Discussion Forums  >  Images, Documents, File Locations

Replies: 3    Views: 114

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
05/15/13 02:03 AM (11 years ago)

Open Source Cloud software. Perfect for paranoiacs like me.

The biggest reason I don't put anything particularly 'private' on a cloud is because at the end of the day, I have no idea where my data is. Call me paranoid, but it doesn't mean they're not out to get me. I found an interesting open source package today called 'ownCloud' http://owncloud.org/ They're saying that it gives you all of the 'dropbox' type features, and seemingly installs on hosted solutions as well as standalone servers. Open source and free. There is a commercial version available. This isn't a 'service', it's software 'you' run to create your own cloud on a internet accessible computer somewhere. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm trying to get a client to spring for a new server to test it on. Brainless cloud storage on 'my' cloud is something I've been looking around for. this might be it. Cheers! -- Smug

Frogman
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 05, 2013
Bratislava
05/15/13 02:18 AM (11 years ago)
Nice solution. Thanks Smug. Frogman

theMonster
Code is Art
Reg: Oct 18, 2011
US
05/15/13 02:48 AM (11 years ago)
I've used it before, great service especially if your server can handle that type of load. So if your servers not top of the line and your planning on uploading GB's of data to it, then best to just use dropbox. At least that's my experience. -tM

RiverSteve
Android Fan
Reg: Jun 01, 2013
Whanganui, New ...
06/16/13 01:43 AM (11 years ago)
bookmarked, owlcloud

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.