Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 8    Views: 83

mobileClematis
Aspiring developer
Reg: Oct 21, 2014
Kolkata, India
11/04/14 10:15 AM (9 years ago)

Creating Custom Plugin

I want to create a custom plugin. For that I don't need the Home screen plugin. It only requires a blank screen & then I will do the rest to develop the plugin. I can add a blank screen plugin but since I don't require Home Screen plugin so I want to delete that plugin from my application How do I do that?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
11/04/14 07:48 PM (9 years ago)
I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'Home Screen Plugin'. You have an option to set almost any plugin as a home screen, but there is no single 'Home Screen Plugin'. That said, you can use the blank plugin as a springboard for your plugin development. It can be utilized in any way you desire. If this doesn't help, re-ask your question a little differently; It's hard for me to understand. Cheers! -- Smug

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
11/04/14 11:15 PM (9 years ago)
1. Go to the Layout section of the App's Control Panel 2. Open the non-tabbed section and select your Blank screen plugin to be the Home Screen 3. Unless you have Tabs, then open that section and set the First Tab to be your Blank screen plugin. Does that help? -- Niraj

mobileClematis
Aspiring developer
Kolkata, India
11/05/14 01:30 AM (9 years ago)
@Niraj: Thanks. Now it is clearer to me.

mobileClematis
Aspiring developer
Kolkata, India
11/05/14 02:07 AM (9 years ago)
As far as my understanding every plugin is a screen or collections of screens. Can I write plugin which doesn't have any screen, only features. To avail this feature of the plugin someone has to call the function of my class. Is this possible in BT?

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
11/05/14 03:58 AM (9 years ago)
>every plugin is a screen or collections of screens. This is not correct. A plugin in Buzztouch software system is a class linked to its input parameters through the control screen for the plugin. Now, 98% of the time a class will have a graphical representation as something visible on the screen, but it really need not be so. On Android, you may want to notice a class called BT_database, which has no visible input and no visible output and is not even tied to its control panel and yet, it is still called a plugin. So indeed, it is possible to write one class as a "screen" and another as a "features" class to get the data from.

Annonymous
11/05/14 05:28 AM (9 years ago)
As far as my understanding every plugin is a screen or collections of screens. Can I write plugin which doesn't have any screen, only features. To avail this feature of the plugin someone has to call the function of my class. Is this possible in BT?

Annonymous
11/05/14 05:34 AM (9 years ago)

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
11/05/14 07:56 AM (9 years ago)
Dusko is mostly right - every "plugin" in Buzztouch is a class file, and a class file may or may not represent a screen. A better way to think of it, though, is that every plugin is a view controller. On iOS, the standard view controller class is UIViewController. The Buzztouch core subclasses this and calls it BT_viewController. Then, every plugin is expected to subclass BT_viewController. The way a plugin gets loaded into memory in the app is that the view controller gets pushed onto the navigation stack. So, in this regards every plugin does indeed represent a screen. There are some ways around this, but requires non-standard approaches. For instance, my Tab Bar Utilities plugin can be thought of as a "feature-only" plugin. To the user, it is not a screen in itself, but instead provides additional features for the app. What the user does not know is that it actually does load a screen. Only, it loads a screen that is blank and quickly (as in before the screen ever gets shown) removes itself and shows a different screen. So, to provide a plugin that is 'feature-only', you pretty much need to create a screen that is blank and gives the appropriate features, then load the screen you really want to show, then remove (or "pop") the blank screen. If you're on Android, it's the exact same approach, only subclassing BT_fragment instead of BT_viewController.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.