Discussion Forums  >  Xcode, Errors, Installing, Configuring

Replies: 14    Views: 635

freesoftwarewiz
Code is Art
Reg: Apr 12, 2012
orange city, fl
10/29/14 06:14 PM (9 years ago)

Xcode 6/IOS 8 Errors with splashscreens

Having very weird issues with xcode 6/IOs 8 and splashscreens on our 3.0 self-hosted server. Been testing plugins against the new Xcode/IOS (on Yosemite MAC laptop) with mixed results. I created a very simple app: initially, it only had one plugin: the you tube playlist plugin by dasvibes. Used mostly BT defaults for everything. It compiled, though there were 68 deprecation messages about the BT code. It also ran fine - loaded our test playlist - with deployment targets 7.0, 7.1 and 8.0, in all simulators. Played the videos fine, etc. Ok, so then I added the BT splashscreen plugin. Set it in the global as the splashscreen, etc. The idea was it would display, then "animate" away to the playlist screen when clicked (the -1 setting) And it got weird. The app compiled. 71 deprecation messages. The splashscreen did show up. Click it, and the animation runs, revealing...the splashscreen again. Click it again, and yes, the animation runs, revealing...the same splashscreen again! But this last splashscreen, if you click it, nothing happens. And there it sits. In the debug, got a severe warning message: /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/youtubemesrc-apple/BT_Layout/BT_viewController.m:668:34: Sending 'BT_viewController *const __strong' to parameter of incompatible type 'id<NSFileManagerDelegate>' Tried all sorts of things: with deployment targets 7.0, 7.1 and 8.0, in all simulators. Same thing, every time. Ok, so tried a new App with just the BT splashscreen. No other plugins. Exact same behavior. OK, tried app with the youtube plugin. Again, it worked. Then Added the "advert" version of the BT splashscreen. It was set to fade after 3 seconds, then load a URL. It compiles (73 deprecations). It displays the splashscreen. And that is it. No errors in debug. It just sits. Tried every deployment target, and EVERY simulator. I would love it if anyone had an idea what the hey is going on! :-) Some more info below. Joe C. the warning message came on this code: ========== this code: /createAdBannerView -(void)createAdBannerView{ Class classAdBannerView = NSClassFromString(@"ADBannerView"); if(classAdBannerView != nil){ [BT_debugger showIt:self message:[NSString stringWithFormat:@"createiAdBannerView (super): %@", @""]]; self.adView = [[UIView alloc] initWithFrame:CGRectZero]; self.adView.autoresizingMask = (UIViewAutoresizingFlexibleTopMargin | UIViewAutoresizingFlexibleWidth); [self.adView setTag:94]; self.adBannerView = [[classAdBannerView alloc] initWithFrame:CGRectZero]; [self.adBannerView setDelegate:self]; [self.adBannerView setTag:955]; if(UIInterfaceOrientationIsLandscape([UIDevice currentDevice].orientation)) { [adBannerView setCurrentContentSizeIdentifier: ADBannerContentSizeIdentifierLandscape]; }else{ [adBannerView setCurrentContentSizeIdentifier:ADBannerContentSizeIdentifierPortrait]; } [self.adView setFrame:[BT_viewUtilities frameForAdView:self theScreenData:screenData]]; [adView setBackgroundColor:[UIColor clearColor]]; [self.adView addSubview:self.adBannerView]; [self.view addSubview:adView]; [self.view bringSubviewToFront:adView]; } } ========== The JSON/config for the App: {"BT_appConfig": { "BT_items":[ {"itemId":"EA2E8FF4EE726CBE5E48D85F9", "itemType":"BT_app", "buzztouchAppId":"REMOVED", "buzztouchAPIKey":"REMOVED", "dataURL":"http://appbuzzinga.com/control-panel/api/app/?command=getAppData&appGuid=EA2E8FF4EE726CBE5E48D85F9&apiKey=4E446CC5E6F5F50CB862FF2&apiSecret=REMOVED", "reportToCloudURL":"http://appbuzzinga.com/control-panel/api/app/?command=reportToCloud&appGuid=EA2E8FF4EE726CBE5E48D85F9&apiKey=4E446CC5E6F5F50CB862FF2&apiSecret=REMOVED&deviceId=[deviceId]&deviceLatitude=[deviceLatitude]&deviceLongitude=[deviceLongitude]&deviceModel=[deviceModel]&userId=[userId]", "registerForPushURL":"http://appbuzzinga.com/control-panel/api/app/?command=registerForPush&appGuid=EA2E8FF4EE726CBE5E48D85F9&apiKey=4E446CC5E6F5F50CB862FF2&apiSecret=REMOVED&deviceId=[deviceId]&deviceLatitude=[deviceLatitude]&deviceLongitude=[deviceLongitude]&deviceModel=[deviceModel]&userId=[userId]", "lastModified":"Wed, 29 Oct 2014 01:28:14 -0700", "lastPublished":"Wed, 29 Oct 2014 01:28:14 -0700", "name":"YouTubeMe", "version":"2.1", "currentMode":"Design", "startLocationUpdates":"0", "promptForPushNotifications":"0", "allowRotation":"largeDevicesOnly", "BT_themes":[ {"itemId":"E32731F729F00D8123B51E7", "itemType":"BT_theme", "itemNickname":"Default Theme", "navBarBackgroundColor":"#00FF99", "navBarStyle":"solid", "statusBarStyle":"default", "backgroundColor":"#0033FF"} ], "BT_tabs":[ ], "BT_menus":[ ], "BT_screens":[ {"itemId":"544bbc4f71b9f6.43327346", "itemType":"BT_screen_splash", "itemNickname":"SPLASHSCREEN", "startTransitionAfterSeconds":"-1", "transitionType":"shrink", "backgroundColor":"#00CCFF", "backgroundImageNameSmallDevice":"SPLASHSCREENBACKGROUNDSMALL.jpg", "backgroundImageNameLargeDevice":"SPLASHSCREENBACKGROUNDBIG.jpg", "backgroundImageScale":"fullScreen"}, {"itemId":"544bbc4f71e177.81257494", "itemType":"Das_video_playlist", "itemNickname":"YOUTUBESCREEN", "navBarTitleText":"YouTubeMe Playlist", "navBarBackgroundColor":"#66FF33", "navBarStyle":"transparent", "navBarRightButtonType":"home", "navBarRightButtonTapLoadScreenNickname":"SPLASHSCREEN", "navBarRightButtonTapLoadScreenItemId":"544bbc4f71b9f6.43327346", "DasVideoURL":"http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/playlists/PLhO3tFVfKNUc4HQ9Cr4OEXkFdY9Ve7Afc", "backgroundColor":"#3300FF", "backgroundImageScale":"fullScreenPreserve"} ] } ] }}

Red Dog
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 16, 2011
Southern Califo...
10/29/14 09:05 PM (9 years ago)
Hi Joe. I am running the exact same setup you have. I will try the BT splash screen in the morning to see what results I get. I will tell you that I pulled my simple GeoFence plugin from the market because it was not running with iOS8 and it is a splash screen plugin. I am hoping to find time this week to fix it. I will start with the BT splash screen first.

mrDavid
BTMods.com
Reg: May 21, 2011
San Diego, CA
10/30/14 12:04 AM (9 years ago)
@RedDog I'm not a fan of how the splash screen runs with buzztouch, I prefer to hardcode it, I was able to get the animations to work well this way, and it saved the user time from having to view the white loading screen transition that folks have been complaining about. Red Dog, if you need help with your plugin, let me know, I could take a look at it no problem, I've ported a ton of iOS projects to iOS8 in the past few months. :-) Cheers, David Van Beveren http://btmods.com/chat ^ Chat with other BT members live! http://btmods.com/hire ^ Hire MrDavid for one of his services!

freesoftwarewiz
Code is Art
orange city, fl
10/30/14 07:26 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks RedDog. Will be interesting to see how you fare with it. Since yesterday, I have tried several of the splashscreens, all with similar bad results. I started this foray to assess how well the BT code and plugins will work with the new SDK and Apple requirements. So far, it is admittedly not encouraging. I used just 4 plugins, done 462 changes (deployments, targets,etc.) 490 recompiles, and only the YouTube plugin has worked. I have avoided 'hand-coding' as the whole purpose of having the self-host was to not have to do a lot of that. :-) I sent Susan all the deprecation and other warning messages I have seen along the way to help save them time when they start working on upgrading the BT code and self-host. Again, I do appreciate your help - have had my self-host for over a year, but this is the first time I have bothered the 'group' with a problem. Always tried to avoid that - people are busy. I will keep a "if you want to use plugin __ you have to do this __" log as I go along, and publish it on the forum. It looks like we may need it. :-) Thanks again. Joe C.

Red Dog
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 16, 2011
Southern Califo...
10/30/14 10:19 AM (9 years ago)
Hi Joe. OS = 10.10 xCode = 6.1 I created a new app with 2 BT screens; Home Screen = Menu Simple Splash Screen = Splash Screen All compiles and runs perfectly. Only 1 deprication in BT_viewController.m I don't own the Advert Splash screen so I can't test it, but give Chris1 a message and he can probably fix it.

mrDavid
BTMods.com
Reg: May 21, 2011
San Diego, CA
10/30/14 10:23 AM (9 years ago)
Hi Joe, Hand coding can be done to the core files so that when you download a project it already has the modifications to it. Hope that makes sense. So in this case, you hard code once, and your users never have to *code* themselves. This is a good method to add modifications to a project that will always *stay* if you know you will need to make modifications to every single project you download. Anyways, I'm out - you're in good hands. Cheers, David Van Beveren http://btmods.com/chat ^ Chat with other BT members live! http://btmods.com/hire ^ Hire MrDavid for one of his services!

freesoftwarewiz
Code is Art
orange city, fl
10/30/14 11:23 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks red Dog :-) Yes, I have discovered this is somehow related to the menus: the splash works IF you use menus, but as this was intended to be a "one screen" thing, a menu was overkill. But if you don't use one, the splash just doesn't work. I got Chris's splash to work partway - it transitions, but then instead of a web page being loaded (google) it's just a blank screen. No errors, nothing. Just blank. And it sits. Thanks for the input David - but altering the core for all projects, I assume you mean on the self-host server. The problem is, I hate mucking with the BT code - creates issues when you want to update the self-host. But I may be forced to do just that. Appreciate the help guys. Joe C.

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
10/31/14 07:12 PM (9 years ago)
David -- write a new post please on how you got rid of the white loading screen. Mr Orange -- I don't use the splash screen plugin, it has a fatal bug in the PHP in that you have to modify the Custom JSON block in the Themes area of the Control Panel. -- Niraj

freesoftwarewiz
Code is Art
orange city, fl
10/31/14 08:36 PM (9 years ago)
Mr. Orange? :-) So if I understand you, the control panel php does not correctly modify the JSON data so that the splash screen will work (on Apps with no menu screen anyway - I suspect the menu screens obfuscate the splash error somehow). There are quite a few uses for fast loading single screen/purpose Apps, so it would be nice to know a fix to make the "splash screen"/"Advert splash screen" work on such Apps that do not need a menu. (if your App has one main screen/purpose, a menu is superfluous). Thanks for the input Niraj. :-) Joe C.

freesoftwarewiz
Code is Art
orange city, fl
10/31/14 09:18 PM (9 years ago)
(apologies - computer submitted my post twice. could not find a delete post option so just erased it :)

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Cerritos
10/31/14 09:31 PM (9 years ago)
You have my mind cranking there, Joe! Can you share examples of single screen apps? If it's useful, let's crank out a single image plugin (if I understand you correctly). By the way, these plugins can do it already for you: - Ultimate Screen Creator https://www.buzztouch.com/plugins/plugin.php?pid=C355C176750C28CA0D15CCF - Cubbyholes https://www.buzztouch.com/plugins/plugin.php?pid=9B9377C1CD78780457CD176 Thanks, looking forward to your insight on the utility of single screen apps. -- Niraj

freesoftwarewiz
Code is Art
orange city, fl
11/01/14 07:06 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks for the input Niraj! Chris's plugin seems to have bugs, but yours sounds interesting. I have written a PDF about all this (with my partner, a marketing genius), but I will give it to you in a nutshell. Apple Apps are reviewed by humans, who are...opinionated and variable. A year or so ago, for example, they rejected NON game Apps with splash screens - supposedly about performance. We argued, successfully eventually, that all Apps deserved to enforce their brand, and the developers, to get credit, copyrights to be displayed, etc. Recently, they rejected our Apps that had only one effective screen and a menu. The review individuals declared a 1 item menu redundant, and that it would degrade the user experience. (why have to click twice?) I agree. :-) So, an App with a splash screen that dissolves in 2 seconds and goes to the 'purpose' screen, or even to an advert then the purpose screen is far more engaging and useful. An example of a single purpose/single screen App - the first one we did - was a private blog. Clicking the app displayed a splash, then a private blog. A single web page. The Blog, was day trading tips. (my partner is also a licensed stock broker). This App was coded manually in JAVA (I designed it in 2013 for her, but my mother got diagnosed with lung cancer, and I was just not available to code it. I was in the middle of a severe and expensive battle to save her life). Ironically, I created the single screen/single purpose concept when I was at NASA. We had workers who had to traverse this enormous database system JUST to record a replacement of a tile on the shuttle (every single tile had a separate serial number and unique shape). I created a separate software that did JUST that one thing - allow them to enter the change. It saved hundreds of man hours and got me an engineering award. The concept is still quite useful - especially to marketers. (I think Sid has a list of several dozen uses). And thus, this problem with the BT splash screens on single purpose Apps is . . . aggravating. :-) I hope that was not too long winded and answered your question Niraj? :-) Joe

freesoftwarewiz
Code is Art
orange city, fl
11/01/14 09:12 AM (9 years ago)
Just more Info on this problem. (I am...persistant :-) mac Book pro self-host 3.0 OS X 10.9.4 Xcode 6.1 SDK 8.0 Target deployment IOS 7.1, multiple architectures 1) I created App with JUST the Advert Splash screen: Splash displays, as it should. fades away to...blank. No Advert URL is never loaded, but no errors or warnings of any kind. Deprecations from the compiler I listed below. (you don't get them if you target IOS 5) 2) I added the "Blank Screen" plugin and made it the "home" screen (nontabbed). Splash screen never displays - it just goes to the blank home screen directly. 3) I reversed in JSON (manually) the order the screen items were listed and made the blank screen (the home) appear last in JSON, the splash first. NOW the splash screen appears, the fades to...the splash screen again. neither the home screen OR the advert URL screen is displayed. Order of listing items/screens (order of creating screens in control panel) is relevant in JSON - but you don't care if you are using a menu as a home. You DO care if you are not. Unless I am missing something, it seems very difficult to create the Apps without using a menu. That is disappointing. Joe C. also: deprecations, with JUST the "advert splash screen" mac Book pro self-host 3.0 OS X 10.9.4 Xcode 6.1 SDK 8.0 Target deployment IOS 7.1, multiple architectures /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Layout/BT_tabBarController.m /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Layout/BT_tabBarController.m:122:72: 'ADBannerContentSizeIdentifierLandscape' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 6.0 /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Layout/BT_tabBarController.m:122:40: 'setCurrentContentSizeIdentifier:' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 6.0 /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Layout/BT_tabBarController.m:124:72: 'ADBannerContentSizeIdentifierPortrait' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 6.0 /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Layout/BT_tabBarController.m:124:40: 'setCurrentContentSizeIdentifier:' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 6.0 /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Core/BT_contextMenu.m /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Core/BT_contextMenu.m:45:14: 'wantsFullScreenLayout' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 7.0 /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Core/BT_audioPlayer.m /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Core/BT_audioPlayer.m:115:36: 'UITextAlignmentCenter' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 6.0 /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Core/BT_audioPlayer.m:136:34: 'UITextAlignmentLeft' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 6.0 /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Core/BT_audioPlayer.m:145:35: 'UITextAlignmentRight' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 6.0 /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Core/BT_audioPlayer.m:154:35: 'UITextAlignmentLeft' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 6.0 /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Core/BT_audioPlayer.m:163:38: 'UITextAlignmentRight' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 6.0 /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Layout/BT_viewUtilities.m /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Layout/BT_viewUtilities.m:146:31: 'UITextAlignmentCenter' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 6.0 /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Layout/BT_viewUtilities.m:907:9: 'segmentedControlStyle' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 7.0 - The segmentedControlStyle property no longer has any effect /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Layout/BT_viewUtilities.m:907:33: 'UISegmentedControlStyleBar' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 7.0 - The segmentedControlStyle property no longer has any effect /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Layout/BT_viewController.m /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Layout/BT_viewController.m:138:30: 'UIStatusBarStyleBlackOpaque' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 7.0 - Use UIStatusBarStyleLightContent /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Layout/BT_viewController.m:147:30: 'UIStatusBarStyleBlackTranslucent' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 7.0 - Use UIStatusBarStyleLightContent /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Layout/BT_viewController.m:373:69: 'UITextAttributeTextColor' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 7.0 - Use NSForegroundColorAttributeName /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Layout/BT_viewController.m:668:34: Sending 'BT_viewController *const __strong' to parameter of incompatible type 'id<NSFileManagerDelegate>' /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Layout/BT_viewController.m:671:60: 'ADBannerContentSizeIdentifierLandscape' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 6.0 /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Layout/BT_viewController.m:673:59: 'ADBannerContentSizeIdentifierPortrait' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 6.0 /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Layout/BT_viewController.m:689:59: 'ADBannerContentSizeIdentifierLandscape' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 6.0 /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Layout/BT_viewController.m:691:59: 'ADBannerContentSizeIdentifierPortrait' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 6.0 /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Layout/BT_viewController.m:1437:8: 'dismissModalViewControllerAnimated:' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 6.0 /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Layout/BT_viewController.m:1460:8: 'dismissModalViewControllerAnimated:' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 6.0 /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Layout/BT_viewController.m:1531:72: 'ADBannerContentSizeIdentifierLandscape' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 6.0 /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Layout/BT_viewController.m:1531:40: 'setCurrentContentSizeIdentifier:' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 6.0 /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Layout/BT_viewController.m:1533:72: 'ADBannerContentSizeIdentifierPortrait' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 6.0 /Users/akairyuu/Desktop/DevTest/testsplash_iOS/BT_Layout/BT_viewController.m:1533:40: 'setCurrentContentSizeIdentifier:' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 6.0

freesoftwarewiz
Code is Art
orange city, fl
11/01/14 09:07 PM (9 years ago)
FIXED - sort of. :-) I have got the splashscreen to work with non-menu screens in a normal fashion. IF you manually alter the JSON data so that the splashscreen item data is the LAST item in the json, and the screen you wish it to transition to, is the first "bt_screens" item. Also, you set the non-menu screen in the 'nontabbed layout' as the "home screen" and in the 'theme' section, set the splashscreen plugin as the splashscreen - but do NOT set any of the nav bar settings in 'theme' (they appear to cause an issue with the function of the splashscreen if you change them). HOWEVER, even if you follow these directions, with the "advert splashscreen" plugin - which is just a special version of the simple splash screen that displays a page - via a URL - immediately after the splash, it NEVER displays the URL page. It just behaves like a the normal BT_splashscreen. It does not give an error (like "no internet" or "page not found" etc.), the page just never appears. the advert plugin also does something very odd - it creates double entries in the JSON, like: "BT_screens":[ { "itemId":"5CBCD5B5890F1B38DCA620C", "itemType":"CR_advert_splash", "itemNickname":"testsplash", (...and then it repeats it ...) "itemId":"5CBCD5B5890F1B38DCA620C", "itemType":"CR_advert_splash", "itemNickname":"testsplash", "navBarTitleText":"testsplash", "backgroundImageNameSmallDevice":"SPLASHSCREENBACKGROUNDSMALL.jpg", "backgroundImageNameLargeDevice":"SPLASHSCREENBACKGROUNDBIG.jpg", "urlToLoad":"http://appbuzzinga.com/master.html", "startTransitionAfterSeconds":"2", "transitionType":"fade", "externalToApp":"NO", "landscapeImage":"NO", "showActionButton":"YES" } If you leave that repeated section in there, not even the splash screen appears - it just goes straight to the non-menu "home screen". Take the repeated JSON out, the splashscreen does appear, then the non-menu home screen, but never the "advert" URL. And NO errors or weird stuff in the debug output whether the extra stuff is there or not. No idea yet why that would be. But at least I solved 1 mystery. :-) Personally, I think all the splash screen plugins should have one other attribute: target or 'next' screen, so it is TOLD what to display after the splash. This fiddling with the order items are listed in the JSON was a huge nuisance. Joe C.

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Cerritos
11/01/14 11:57 PM (9 years ago)
Good sleuthing! Repeat your finding in a new post about the Splash Advertising plugin. Then hopefully Chris will notice. -- Niraj

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.