Janeen
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 11, 2013
Southern Califo...
10/20/14 10:53 PM (9 years ago)

xCode 5.1.1: Validation, but no Submit!

Hello all, I am trying to submit my second app to iTunes, and I've read a lot about how the process is slightly changed since I submitted my first app. I did all the required stuff in iTunes (description, screenshots, etc), and I guess I now have to archive and submit in xCode first, then wait for the binary to show up back in iTunes and click the "Submit for Review" once I've selected a binary. Dilemma: in xCode, my app passed the validation, but the only two buttons I have to click are "Validate" and "Distribute". Questions: Should I have a "Submit" button as well? Any ideas why I don't have a Submit button? Any ideas how I can resolve this? Many thanks, Janeen

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
10/21/14 07:49 AM (9 years ago)
Hi Janeen, I'm assuming you've done an Archive using the Device profile and signed it with your Distribution Certificates? Also, in iTunes, you need to make sure you've filled in all the info and the status is "Waiting for Upload." Then you can submit it via Organizer. Let us know if that helps! Mark

Janeen
Aspiring developer
Southern Califo...
10/21/14 12:49 PM (9 years ago)
Hi Mark, Thanks for the reply! 1. Yes, I've archived with my iPad attached, and all certificates are set to "iOS Distribution". fyi…I also archived it with code signing set to "iPhone Distribution: byname, etc". It passed validation, but still no SUBMIT button, just two buttons: ARCHIVE and DISTRIBUTION. 2. Yes, in iTunes I have everything filled out, nothing missing. The status is "Submit for Review", which my understanding is the new submission process is to a) validate and submit in xCode, b) when build appears in the build table in iTunes, your select it, then c) click the "Submit for Review" button in iTunes. I'm totally stumped. :-( Any more ideas? Here's an image of my archive: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58975802/Screen%20Shot%202014-10-21%20at%2012.39.29%20PM.png

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
10/21/14 01:06 PM (9 years ago)
Interesting. You actually don't need to have a device attached when you Build > Archive. But, the Target should be Device, and not one of the simulators. It's at the top of the list of targets you can select. I think you are right about the new iTunes process. So, we just need to make sure your archiving it correctly. What happens when you hit the Distribution button? Mark

Janeen
Aspiring developer
Southern Califo...
10/21/14 01:12 PM (9 years ago)
Hmmm… here's what I get when I click the Distribution button: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58975802/Screen%20Shot%202014-10-21%20at%201.02.50%20PM.png This looks like progress, although it wasn't very intuitive! It looks like choice #1 is the right one? Janeen

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
10/21/14 01:40 PM (9 years ago)
Yep, choice #1 will get you there! Looks like they've changed things up. Gotta love Apple! Mark

Janeen
Aspiring developer
Southern Califo...
10/21/14 02:17 PM (9 years ago)
Thanks, Mark! Okay, for the newbies like me, here's a a recap from archive through submission: 1. Make sure your code signing values are set to distribution, then do the Product ->Archive 2. In the archive table, click on your app, then click Validate button 3. Once app is validated, click on Distribute button 4. Select "Submit to the iOS App Store" -> NEXT 5. Username and password to log into iTunes -> NEXT 6. Select your app in the Application drop down, make sure Provisioning Profile is correct 7. SUBMIT Lots of crunching as your app is packaged up and sent to iTunes, then a message appears stating the app has passed validation and has been submitted to the App Store for further review. When you look into your app in iTunes, click the Prerelease tab and you'll see your build in the table. Once it is processed by the system, it will show up under the Versions tab, in the Builds table. That's where you'll select it, save, and hit the Submit For Review button. Then the waiting begins for a humanoid to test and approve your app! Whew! Hopefully this recap will help the next BT newbie. Janeen UPDATE: Okay, I submitted another app, and this time the last part went a little differently! I guess Apple likes to change it up fairly regularly. I noticed that overnight my build did not automatically move from the Prerelease tab to the Build section in the Versions tab of my app in iTunes. So I clicked on the + in the Builds section, which popped up a window with a table containing my build. I selected the build and submitted it, clicked SAVE at the top of the versions page, then clicked the button to submit my app for review.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
10/21/14 02:19 PM (9 years ago)
Way to pay it forward, Janeen! God luck on the app...let us know when it's approved! Mark

Janeen
Aspiring developer
Southern Califo...
10/21/14 03:04 PM (9 years ago)
One more tidbit….it took one hour for my build to move from the Prerelease tab to the Versions tab. Paying it forward….just following your example, Mark, and that of all the BT ninjas/gurus/nerds that freely and patiently share their knowledge each day in the forums. Mahalo nui loa (thank you very much)! Janeen

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.