SrikarSree
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jul 22, 2012
Bangalore
10/17/14 04:44 AM (9 years ago)

What is the difference between Android SDK and Studio

Hi Friends, It's a long time and just want to start with android apps, and i see there is a lot of development in the past 9 months in this technology. So can you please tell me the difference between Android SDK and Studio. I have been working with SDK. Now should i stick with SDK or get the Studio installed. Thanks in advance

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
10/17/14 11:57 AM (9 years ago)
>difference between Android SDK and Studio Do you mean between Eclipse and Android Studio? If so, it is still unresolved. In the end, it doesn't really matter, both are just software tools. I have tried Studio but it is very alien and is still in beta, meaning, it has lots of bugs. Eclipse is not developed any more but the way it is now, it is quite capable of dong everything that you need. I still vote for Eclipse.

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
10/17/14 04:17 PM (9 years ago)
Short answer: Android Studio is a software package not unlike many others on your machine. Click an icon, launch it, mess with the interface, drag things around, make stuff. The Android SDK is a collection of files that live on your computer and are generally only messed with by super-nerds. I love the command line and use the Android SDK (through a command line program call the adb) all the time. It's nerdy but major powerful. Example: I used it today to flash (nerd talk for install) a new third party version of Android on a cheapo tablet. Command line work for sure. Android Studio would never do this. But, the Android SDK is well suited to tasks exactly like that. Android Studio, and Eclipse, and all sorts of other "pretty front ends" are nothing more than a collection of buttons, screens, controls and tools that make it "easier" to use the underlying Android SDK that must exist on your machine for them to work. I realize that's a long answer when it promised to be short. But...I could talk about these idea forever, their super super super interesting! d.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
10/17/14 05:31 PM (9 years ago)
To expound a bit on David's answer: An SDK is a Software Development Kit. Like David says, it's a collection of files that allow you to develop software for whatever platform you're looking to develop for. There are TONS of SDK's out there for various things - iOS, Windows, Android...you get the picture. Both Eclipse and Android Studio are IDE's - Integrated Development Environments. They are basically software that allow you to do various things, depending on your goal. In this case, you tie in the Android SDK, and you have a development environment capable of creating apps for the Android OS. You basically need both and SDK and an IDE to do your work. Which you use is totally based on preference. At the moment, I find the Eclipse ADT Bundle far easier to use than Android Studio. I suspect over time that'll it'll switch, as Studio becomes more and more mature. At the moment, it is very buggy, and hard to use with Buzztouch projects. Hope that helps a bit! Mark

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
10/17/14 10:14 PM (9 years ago)
I plead with thee to rid us of the pestilence named Eclipse! :-)

SrikarSree
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jul 22, 2012
Bangalore
10/17/14 11:53 PM (9 years ago)
WOW, I got the full picture now and thanks for Mark, David and Dusko for this info. This answers my question to the point and again thanks for Mark for this and for your Buzztouch youtube videos :-) "I find the Eclipse ADT Bundle far easier to use than Android Studio. I suspect over time that'll it'll switch, as Studio becomes more and more mature. At the moment, it is very buggy, and hard to use with Buzztouch projects."

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.