Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 21    Views: 207

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 01, 2011
Hopkins, Minnes...
09/30/14 03:08 PM (9 years ago)

New Plugin: Menu Image Buttons!

I just submitted a new plugin to the Buzztouch market. The plugin creates buttons in a grid pattern similar to the free Buzztouch Button Menu. What is different is that you can choose the number of buttons per row and the margin between buttons. The plugin calculates the buttons size and evenly spaces the buttons on the screen. When you turn the device to landscape, the number of buttons automatically doubles, and the buttons resize to fit perfectly in landscape. This plugin will be particularly helpful for developers making apps for both iOS and Android, because now you can use the Button Grid format and have it size correctly on Android as well as iOS. <a href="https://www.buzztouch.com/plugins/plugin.php?pid=231FADE298BB5CDA6B825AC" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">https://www.buzztouch.com/plugins/plugin.php?pid=231FADE298BB5CDA6B825AC</a> While the default setting is no header image, this plugin includes all of the header image features available in the Menu with Image plugin, including the ability to choose from three sizes for the header image, the ability to set the opacity of the header image the ability to set a different background color for the header image. In addition, I added the ability to set the background color of each button. (The standard Button Menu has one color for all the buttons.) Now, this is a very complex plugin, and I can't take credit for it. First of all, the Button Menu is a work of art. I think it is amazing that David Book made one plugin with so many layout options in it. This plugin used his code as the starting point. When you see the complexity of a plugin like this we are all lucky to have it as a free plugin. Thank you, David. You are amazing. I also need to give credit to Kittsy, who is my tutor and helped throughout the project. I was going to give the user just the option to have two, three, or four buttons per row, and Kittsy came up with the idea to just use some math to calculate the button size for any number of buttons per row. One button per row is actually kind of cool, and you could try it with 10 buttons per row if you want. I bet this plugin would be super cool with the snowflakes on it! Thank you, Kittsy! This plugin is so much better because of your help with it.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
09/30/14 03:32 PM (9 years ago)
Sweet! Congrats Susan! Another well done effort! :) Cheers! -- Smug

Kittsy
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Feb 22, 2012
Liverpool
09/30/14 03:45 PM (9 years ago)
finally a welcome addition to the plugin world. Especially for the world of different sized screens

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
09/30/14 04:28 PM (9 years ago)
I love it! Bought and installed! Mark

Joe Sprott
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 20, 2011
Melbourne, FL
09/30/14 04:42 PM (9 years ago)
nice I am all in its in my arsenal of goodies Joe

MacApple
Apple Fan
Reg: Oct 25, 2010
USA
09/30/14 05:00 PM (9 years ago)
Nice one Susan! Will have a play with this at weekend. Good stuff.

NCbuzz
Code is Art
Reg: Sep 11, 2013
Lillington, NC
09/30/14 05:16 PM (9 years ago)
Sounds Great Susan! Looking forward to trying it out.

Cakebit
Code is Art
Reg: Dec 15, 2010
In your local b...
09/30/14 08:37 PM (9 years ago)
Great plugin Susan! I love the quality and special touch you put in your plugins!

Becky
I hate code!
Reg: Aug 08, 2012
NYC
09/30/14 10:11 PM (9 years ago)
I will be using this in my next app. Right now I'm using your Menu Image Rows plugin and I love it.. Thank you!

ictguy
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 17, 2011
Mildura, Austra...
10/01/14 02:30 AM (9 years ago)
Great stuff, Susan! I just purchased it as I'm sure I can use this one going forward :) Cheers Darrel

Crown Solutions
Aspiring developer
Reg: Nov 11, 2011
MN
10/01/14 10:04 AM (9 years ago)
Looks great, nice work!!

FunkyMonkey
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 07, 2013
blackpool
10/02/14 05:56 AM (9 years ago)
Thats great Susan, just what i need, as you know lol few less emails from me cant hurt :) now if you guys want project for plugin, loyalty card plugin, so many uses for something like that :) Thanks sean

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Hopkins, Minnes...
10/05/14 10:29 AM (9 years ago)
Say, I found some bugs in the first version I uploaded. The bugs affect the layout when an iPad is opened in landscape. These may only affect the app when compiling with Xcode 6. I did most of the testing on this in Xcode 5, and I didn't notice this problem before. The changes are throughout, so no easy fix. The easiest way to get the most current version into your project is to cut and paste the new .m file (WB_menuImageButtons.m) into your project and change the appDelegate names. If you are new to Buzztouch and these instructions don't make sense, then simply download a new package and the code will be in it. Before you take any action, simply run your app in your project using the iPad in landscape. If you are compiling in Xcode 5 this may not affect your app at all. You will see right away if the layout is not correct. Sorry about this correction! I should have tested more thoroughly in Xcode 6 before releasing it.

NCbuzz
Code is Art
Reg: Sep 11, 2013
Lillington, NC
10/05/14 11:22 AM (9 years ago)
Now that is support by a plugin dev :) Thanks Susan

FunkyMonkey
Aspiring developer
blackpool
10/09/14 03:34 AM (9 years ago)
Im getting problem with the images in self hosting, there not showing on the device, i have included the images in the project, restrted but there not showing, what am i doing wrong susan cheers sean ps just tried the plugin in the buzz server and everything works fine, just not on self hosting, is there something i need to add or update susan cheers sean

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Hopkins, Minnes...
10/09/14 06:36 AM (9 years ago)
I'm not sure. I did all my testing with self-hosting. Try the usual....check the log to look for the images, clean the project, delete the app from the simulator and recompile. I can't think of any reason why it would work differently on self-hosted. If nothing works, send me your project so I can run it.

FunkyMonkey
Aspiring developer
blackpool
10/09/14 07:10 AM (9 years ago)
i updated the app in my self hosting and it fixed it, thanks susan :)

Kittsy
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Feb 22, 2012
Liverpool
10/09/14 08:38 AM (9 years ago)
This plugin looks very nice in the new Slide Menu View plugin lol

piggilypoo
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 28, 2011
San Diego
10/10/14 01:59 AM (9 years ago)
I can't get this plugin to work on my self-hosted.. When I click the button label to set the image URL, colors etc, nothing happens. It just adds a # to the end of the URL and nothing ever pops up. Any suggestions? I've tried reinstalling multiple times and refreshing all plugins. I was only able to get around this by editing the JSON manually. Some suggestions: Having the labels centered on top of the button seems like a bad design choice, especially if the buttons are different colors. It would be great if the labels were below the buttons so they could be legible. Also, it would be nice to have the option to disable scrolling on the control panel. I tried to mess with the variables in the java file but couldn't seem to get scrolling to be disabled. If all the buttons fit on the screen, it shouldn't be scrollable.

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Hopkins, Minnes...
10/10/14 07:39 AM (9 years ago)
Refresh your plugins, and see if that solves it. Otherwise, maybe a different browser would handle popups better. I tested in Chrome. I also have noticed that when the popups won't pop up that I need to shut down the browser and reopen it. I can look into locking the scrolling in the next version. I am not planning to add the feature to add text below the button, at least it in the immediate future. I intended this plugin to have more of a mosaic look. If text under the button is important, then you could use the free version, and set the number of buttons in code. I posted the code to do that previously on the forum. This plugin went a different direction in design and allows the text to wrap on a button, which wouldn't look good if the text was below the button. Each time you add a variable, you have to find a way to make it work on both iOS and Android. I am committed to making plugins that work on both, but it is a lot harder to do.

piggilypoo
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 28, 2011
San Diego
10/10/14 07:52 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks for the reply Susan. I actually found out searching the forums that I guess there was an under-the-radar update for the self hosted control panel that fixes child items not producing a pop up (im still using files from november) so I think that'll solve the issue. It seems like child items for any screen weren't generating a pop-up for me. The only problem with the free plugin, is it isn't quite as sexy as this plugin :) The icons don't auto-resize, and when you rotate to landscape the icons don't fill out. If you had any suggestions for me being able to get this kind of functionality with the free plugin, that'd be awesome! Your plugin is perfect in that aspect, but the labels don't look so nice when trying to do a button grid. I could see the mosaic idea working out nicely though.

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Hopkins, Minnes...
10/10/14 09:14 AM (9 years ago)
I forgot about that. One of the things that makes this plugin different than the free one is the doubling the number on rotation. If you apply the other pre-plugin fix, when you rotate to landscape, the buttons keep the same size and number of buttons per row. But it looks acceptable, especially if you assume the vast majority of your users will be in portrait. Or you could lock to portrait. Here are the instructions. This is what I used before I finished this plugin, and it is a good way to access all of the features in the free plugin. http://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=298A80CD59CEAD0CD5D3053&currentPage=1

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.